2.22.2011

My new front yard









After many years of wishing for a "park" in my yard, it has finally happened. The last post showed the new beds but they were as yet empty of any plantings. However, lots of of little plants are now in, paths are created, and the little bubbler fountain is installed. It's all so dreamy I just have to pinch myself.

The fountain garden is kind of a little patio unto itself, with a few flagstones surrounding it and lots of herb groundcover between the stones. Lavender will bush up at the back of the garden and alongside the steps to the front door so we will have a good olfactory experience as well as visual.

There was a sweet little surprise as the fountain water started pumping. I had picked it out because it was simple yet had some interesting lines. But it's real elegance showed in the way it cascades smoothly over the entire surface, which I'm told doesn't always happen. In addition, the front side is slightly concave so when the water is at just the right pressure, it creates a little tiny playful waterfall. In the sun, the it sparkles happily, creating an effect none of us had anticipated.

When the plants are all grown up I'll post new pics so you can see the difference. Right now the beds still look a little bald but they're going to be quite colorful, especially in a purple way, later on. woo hoo!

No comments: