3.17.2012

Wanderings and catch-up

Too much pressure (self-inflicted) to write every day. I like this better: just start writing when I'm in the mood and stop when I run out of mood. Or out of musings.

The sun is shining, the red door is open and Molly is basking in the warm streaming sunblast. Well, she's also in neighborhood watch mode. There are entirely too many people who take walks on our street and she's always read to bark them into oblivion. To say nothing of the cat parade. This is a true cat street but not a cat house and Molly is going to keep it that way.

My young plants are doing a spring thing, getting those soft little light green leaves that you can't see when they first come out unless you get real close. I go out the door every day and do a slow 180 to measure leaf progress. It's really beautiful how the green dots puff out a little more every day. I definitely love the plants in full bloom but I have a soft spot for new growth so this time of year is special.

My own re-growth is going well. Shoulder surgery is great! So is physical therapy...it's magic what they all do! I am partially awesome at doing my exercises so my healing is rapido!

Dan, on the other hand, has a mysterious band of pain around his torso that makes it hard to cough, sneeze or breathe hard. If he does any of those things he says he sees stars...I sometimes see his tears when he does it. After he had that problem for a few months, gradually increasing, then his lower body went numb. And he can't walk very well. He goes to the VA for medical care but is considering getting another kind of insurance. Not that they aren't any good, they just aren't appropriately fast. He's finally getting his MRI in a week...thank goodness.

I am having a good day. I'm sitting on my big fat couch with a sweet little black dog nestled up against me. (She alternates between front door and couch.) To complete this tableau there is also on the couch: graham crackers, Nutella, newspaper, books (Heal Your Life, Timothy-or notes of an abject reptile, and the Body Ecology Diet), the April Real Simple. That's kinda my psyche in a nutshell, actually. If one can judge a book by its cover, can one also judge a person by what's on their couch?

Hey...I love my new Kindle. I'd not wanted one before this, for 2 reasons. One, the traditionalist in me said "only paper books will do." I genuinely love my paper books and assumed no other kind would do. Turns out I can have both. Who knew? Two, I don't like to spend money on books very often and once again made the assumption that that was my only option with a Kindle. Well, I didn't have to look very far to start finding tons of free stuff. Now my K-library has a super cross-section of books: my usual mysteries, some beautiful poetry, a lot about Buddhism, and I'm starting a collection of essays. Turns out I am more likely to read the non-mysteries when they are so easy to click on. I probably have a little bit of a short attention span (huh) which I'm now realizing keeps me from picking up other books. Sounds odd maybe, but it's really true. Now without having to get out of bed and search for some other kind of book, I can just click on "home" and, like a kid in a candy store, I scan the many titles and pick whatever strikes my fancy.

OK, I really do have a lot to do but it was fun chewing the fat.

1 comment:

Rick said...

Feel the same way about my Kindle. I like paper but the Kindle has a lot of free stuff to dip into..
That band of pain isn't shingles I hope. I've heard that can be a very painful thing. Glad your day is a pretty one. Enjoy.