4.24.2012

Days at Seattle VA

Don't feel like writing a complete history...last post had the prequel and today is sort of a sequel, but the major drama is still too large to blog about. Dan ended up with cancer and paralysis (partial) which I can write more about later. Today though, I want to just say I'm more uptight than I'd like to be. And feel way more disorganized than I'd like to be. When I have a significant accomplishment I breathe a huge sigh of relief thinking that perhaps I really can get something done. Like yesterday, I actually got some appointments made for contractors to come work on the bathroom, to widen the door for wheelchair access. Today was big...I combined all my to-do lists into one. I don't get far without a to-do list. This is a little like what I'd probably experience on a tightrope: can't afford to look at the end of the rope because I need to keep my focus on each step, one at a time. Yet I can never tell how far away the end is, nor how many decisions need to be made. It's a huge cauldron of tasks, unknowns, resources people, Dan's progress and minutes in a day. (Yes, these are the kinds of "projects" I enjoy but this one is way bigger than I'm used to!) (@$^^*&!* my paragraphs all blended into one.) Dan had his first radiation treatment today and has 21 more. Yesterday he saw the surgeon for his first follow-up. All was well...good progress. In the past week he's begun moving toes, then feet, then legs. Sometimes the actual movement is microscopic but what's cool is it's a little better each day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you decided to write this entry. We're both list people. What also helps for me during times of stress, where I don't see an end in sight because I have to focus all my energy and attention on the little details, is to do a brain dump. Write it all down- doesn't matter if it makes sense or your grammar is funky. Blog it. Journal it. Let your brain expel some of it, and you'll be better able to handle things.